27 Aug 2008

Why I don't recommend the iPhone 3G

iPhone battery backup
backup battery
I've had the iPhone 3G for a couple of weeks, and although I think it's revolutionary, fantastic, useful, blah-blah-blah, poor battery life is its fatal flaw. For most people, a phone is a phone first and foremost, and other uses are secondary. I know I'm tethered to the internet in general, and email in particular, but a phone has to function as a phone, or it fails. To function as a phone, it has to hold a charge for at least 24 hours under light usage, and the iPhone does not.

iPhone USB power adapterThis is fixable through software. By being extremely careful about how I turn on 3G and WiFi functionality I can make it work reliably through the day without charging more than once. But I shouldn't have to exercise extreme caution and constantly massage settings to make sure the battery doesn't discharge in bare hours: it is a computer and it should take care of it for me. This is not the traveling salesman problem, it's easy: if the screen is off I'm not using it and I don't need the 3G network, so stop trying to nuke my balls.

iPhone car power adapterI don't know when Apple is going to clean up this mess, but I hope it will be within a few months. Without this fix the iPhone cannot be successful, and I totally want the iPhone to succeed. I've helpfully supplied Apple with a bug report on this just in case they haven't read a newspaper, blog, or spoken to a single sentient being who's used the device. Those of us who have it are doing everything short of implanting a car battery to keep these things running: extra charging cables everywhere, car chargers, and even expensive portable battery packs. Without a fix, this is a failed phone.

3 comments:

Scott said...

I'm sure the phone stays connected as much as it can so its "background" apps can continue to "phone home".

What's it doing when you're not using it?

It's an interesting question to ponder.

Unknown said...

Actually the only thing that runs int background is email fetching (at least until they get "push notifications" for third party software done). You can disable the email fetching to increase battery life, but to me that defeats the purpose: I am compulsive enough without having to pick up the phone and poke at it every five minutes to see if I have mail. Third party apps don't run in the background: this can be a little off-putting as a developer, but as a user is really a great idea.

the fool said...

I'm feeling a bit Luddy right now, mired in a (business) move to the Wonderful World of Windows, but i'm SO GLAD I resisted the urge to "upgrade" from the 1st generation iPhone.
Now if I could only get my email to delete for good...